Mission / Requirements
Music program
Visual Arts program
Theatre program
Afternoon Arts
Concert schedule
Photos of Hill School concerts
Arts facilities
The Jon Silverstein '09 Electronic Media Studio
The Boyer Gallery and Lively Arts Series
Directions to The Hill
The Arts > Arts facilities > 

The Hill School's arts facilities  
06026_0083.jpg
Center For The Arts
 
The Hill School Center For The Arts (CFTA) is a 31,000-square-foot, $6.9 million dollar visual and performing arts center that opened in the fall of 1989.  Designed by H2L2 Architects of Philadelphia, the CFTA was awarded top honors for its design and was the first-place winner in the National Excellence in Construction Competition in 1990.  The CFTA houses the Center Theatre, a 700-seat proscenium theatre that serves as a learning laboratory for budding actors and actresses, scenic and lighting designers, and theatre technicians. It also is the home of The Ellis Theatre Guild, a student-run production company that has mounted more than 60 productions in the theatre since its opening. The stage has a 50-foot wide proscenium arch and is 35 feet deep. It boasts a computerized lighting system, a recently upgraded digital sound system, a 27-line counterweight system, and 100-foot-high loft where scenery can be hung to clear it from the stage. The Center hosts a variety of professional performing artists as well as area performing arts organizations in a schedule that rivals professional road houses.   
The Boyer Gallery  
The Boyer Gallery is one of the finest facilities of its kind in the tri-county area, providing approximately 2,000 square feet of well-lit exhibit space. Indented wall space juxtaposed with a handsome curved wall and a built-in oak bench creates the perfect setting for two and three dimensional works. Well-known regional artist Mildred Sands Kratz has described it as “the finest exhibit space on the East Coast.” The Gallery presents a series of art exhibits each year, including solo exhibitions of local and regionally recognized artists, as well as area art guilds and student shows. The Center maintains a permanent collection of area artists who have exhibited in the Center as well as works of exceptional Hill students. Each year between 650 and 750 guests visit the gallery.
 
The Boyer Gallery was on October 3, 2003 in honor of The Boyers, an area family that has, for generations, made significant contributions to the local community as well as The Hill School. This naming ceremony was timed to coincide with what would have been the 60th reunion year of James K. Boyer, Hill class of 1943, who passed away in March 1991. The Boyer Gallery recognizes the ongoing role played in the region and at The Hill by Jim's wife, Nancy L. Boyer, an accomplished artist in her own right and who has had exhibits on display in the Gallery. The Boyer Gallery also acknowledges service to the School provided by the Boyers' sons: Walter L Boyer, Hill class of '74 and former Hill School trustee; and James K. Boyer, Jr., Hill class of '72 and secretary of his Hill class. James and Nancy also have two daughters, Mary Ann Boyer Hall and Patricia Boyer. The Boyer legacy at The Hill has included Jim Boyer's father, Daniel B. Boyer, Hill class of 1907, and several uncles, cousins, and grandchildren.

Hours of operation for the Boyer Gallery:
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. when school is in session, or by appointment. Please contact Joanne Egrie at 610-326-1000, ext. 7339 for more information.
The Creative Woodworking Shop  
Following a long tradition of excellence and reflective of current trends in woodworking, the creative woodworking shop provides students at all skill levels with opportunities to complete individual or group projects. During the 2001-02 school year, 17 students and faculty members constructed as many touring kayaks over the course of the year. Following that, they traveled together to the Chesapeake Bay where all 17 kayaks were launched and their kayakers trained in paddling safety and paddling techniques. More recently, a similar number of students designed and created their own electric guitars from scratch while learning a variety of woodworking skills associated with their construction.
The Music House  
The Music House, located across the Dell from the Center For The Arts, is the home of The Hill’s choral music program. Here, members of the chamber and concert choirs as well as the Hilltones and Hilltrebles, two student run ensembles, prepare for upcoming concerts.

Search | Contact us | Directions | LoginMailing Address: 717 East High St. Pottstown, PA 19464 | School Entrance: 860 Beech St. Pottstown, PA, 19464 | Phone: 610-326-1000
search login