All Hill School students are required to sign the Acceptable Use Policy at the beginning of each school year.
As students of The Hill School, we will govern our technology use in accordance with the standards of the Hill School Honor Code:
- Our word is an expression of the strength of our character.
- We respect the property of others as we respect our own.
- Our academic work is an honest expression of our ability.
In order to apply these standards to HillNET, we need to remember that digital information is a form of property and electronic mail (e-mail and Instant Messaging) is a form of speech.
Therefore, the following standards must be honored:
• To be used as a positive and productive means of communication
• To be considered the same as paper mail
• Easily distributed to others so use care when sending it
• Individual private property. Therefore, the use of someone else’s password is a form of theft.
• A virtual representation of that individual. It is not acceptable to use a computer that is logged in under another’s username and password.
Commercial Software is
• Meant to be purchased. If you didn’t buy it, you shouldn’t use it.
• If you did buy, you shouldn’t distribute it to others.
HillNET/Internet access and respect:
• Treatment of Hill school members in virtual social interactions like MySpace, Facebook, Email and Instant Messaging should be governed by the same respectful code of conduct that we use at The Hill School.
• The Hill School entrusts students to make wise choices about the content they access via Hillnet. Obtaining and/or distributing material that is pornographic, violent or otherwise hurtful will not be tolerated, and may, with permission of the Headmaster, result in files or communications being examined.
• We respect the property of other Hill community members and will not access their personal files located on their computers through the network.
Agreement: We are a community in which all members are expected to show mutual respect and compassion for others. As such, there are certain responsibilities that come with the privilege of being able to use the school’s network. Since this network reaches beyond The Hill School, all members of the community are expected, at all times, to act as ambassadors for the School when using these resources.
In order to make sure that all members of The Hill School community understand and agree to these rules of conduct, we ask that you sign the following statement:
I have read and understand the school rules as they apply to the use of The Hill School campus network. I will abide by them in letter and spirit, and understand that violating them will result in disciplinary action by the school, up to and including dismissal.