Constructed in 2001, the David H. Mercer Field House
was named after longtime Director of Athletics David H. Mercer in honor of his 42 years (1948-1990) or service to The Hill and in recognition of his commitment to nurturing strong character and good sportsmanship in generations of Hill students.
Mercer Field House is home to the indoor track and field team during the winter athletics season. The four-lane, 160 meter track features a polyurethane textured track surface as well as a sandpit for the horizontal jumps, a pole vault area, a high jump pit, and a portable shot put circle, allowing the team to host dual and tri-meets during the season.
Each court also is lined for tennis, allowing the facility to easily transform into a tennis center for The Hill’s tennis teams during inclement weather, for both practices and matches.
The Field House also contains three regulation basketball courts with controlled, motorized backboards. The Hill’s basketball teams use the field house as a practice facility, and sub-varsity teams occasionally host games on Court 1, which is equipped with an electronic scoreboard.
Throughout the year, the facility serves as an indoor practice location for teams during inclement weather. A suspended batting cage can be lowered to allow the baseball and softball teams to hold indoor batting practice. Operable divider curtains allow multiple teams to practice at one without interference. Additionally, the facility is open for student recreation year-round.