| Sweeney Gymnasium
Named in honor of The Hill's first athletics director, Michael F. Sweeney, the Sweeney Gymnasium sits adjacent to the David H. Mercer Field House. Constructed in 1931, Sweeney Gymnasium includes all the locker rooms; offices; meeting rooms; Gillison Court; and the Cunningham Pool, all of which constituted the indoor athletic facilities prior to 2001. Students refer to the large recreational gym on the top floor of the building as Sweeney.
The area can accommodate several intramural sports activities at the same time. With large windows on both the east and west walls, and a high ceiling, it is a bright and airy space on most afternoons. Its wooden floor is well-maintained and is well-suited for basketball and volleyball. It also is spacious enough to accommodate a variety of fall and spring teams on inclement-weather days.
Thanks to The Bissell Wrestling Endowment, which honors legendary wrestling coach Frank S. Bissell '33, Sweeney Gymnasium recently has been renovated and now also serves as an appropriate venue for multi-school home wrestling matches and tournaments.