Athletics

Athletics Facilities

The Hill School's beautiful campus includes athletics facilities that support our commitment to nurturing students in "mind, body, and spirit." Please read more about our sports and fitness facilities by expanding the accordions below.

The Hill School facilities are designed for a number of individual and group activities, and can be reserved for camps, tournaments, practices, and other events. Facility rental information is available here.

Indoor

David H. Mercer Field House

Constructed: 2001 
Facilities include:
* Four-lane Indoor Track
* Three tennis courts
* Three basketball courts
* Indoor batting cage for baseball and softball

Jerry Day Jr. '37 Squash Center

Constructed: 2001
* Seven glass-backed courts:

  • The Frank Family Court
  • The William T. Ketcham ’37 Court
  • The Marshal F. Wallach ’61 Court
  • The George P. Caulkins ’39 Court
  • The Gaston Jousson Court
  • The W. Graham Arader III ’68 Court
  • The George P. Bissell, Jr. ’36 Stadium Court

Edward Tuck Hall Arena and Thomas Eccleston Jr. Rink

Image

Opened: 2006
Surface Dimensions: 200’ x 85’
* On-campus rink with dedicated varsity locker rooms in which players may keep equipment year-round.
* A skate room is located in the rink, giving players easy access to simple equipment repairs and free skate sharpening.

Parking information: We ask that rink visitors park in the Center For The Arts (CFTA) Parking Lot, located on Beech Street at the west end of campus.  The GPS address for this parking lot is 760 Beech Street, Pottstown, PA 19464.

James Gillison III '29 Basketball Court

Gillison-Gym.jpg
The Hill's varsity and junior varsity boys' and girls' basketball teams tip-off against their opponents on this court named after alumnus James Gillison III '29. Constructed in 1931, the court features large permanent poured concrete stands with the capacity to hold 500 spectators, players’ benches, a built-in scorer’s table on the north end, and scoreboards on both the east and west walls. The center-jump circle is named after Donald S. Ronnie, legendary basketball coach who directed Hill basketball through 37 seasons. Gillison Court also is the site of the Mid-Atlantic Prep League championship banners, for all sports won by Hill teams since the establishment of the league in 1998.

Frank S. Bissell '33 Wrestling Room

The Bissell Wrestling Room is located above the fitness room. Measuring 3,915 square feet, the facility has two mats, bleachers on two walls, an electronic scoreboard, and a built-in scorer’s table; it is well-equipped for team practice and meets. Hill wrestling first reached national prominence under the legendary coach and Hill alumnus Frank S. Bissell '33, and continued under subsequent coaches. The walls of the wrestling room feature anecdotes regarding Coach Bissell's philosophy and plaques honoring national prep champions and Hill alumni who captained their college teams.

Briggs S. Cunningham '26 Pool

* Constructed: 1949
* Sports played: Water polo (fall), Swimming and Diving (winter)
* Lanes: Six
* Additional Features: Angled starting platforms; Automatic, Colorado timing system; two pace clocks; and two maxi-duraflex diving boards. 

Michael F. Sweeney Gymnasium

Opened: 1931
* Full-size basketball court
* Six additional baskets mounted to side walls
* Hoist system houses three wrestling mats; primary venue for wrestling matches
* Fencing strip installed during the winter for fencing season

Lehrman '56 Pavilion

Located between Cunningham Field and Hauser Track, the Lehrman ’56 Pavilion is the centerpiece of the Far Fields. Constructed during the summer of 2014, the Pavilion features two team changing rooms, rest rooms, an indoor gathering space, and the Ram Shack snack bar. An upper viewing balcony at the facility’s south end gives fans aerial views of Cunningham Field and Harry L. Price Field.
 
Richard McElhiney, Hill Class of 1971, served as the facility architect. The Pavilion received an award in the 2015 Associated Builders and Contractors (Keystone Chapter) Awards Ceremony.

Weight Room

Located adjacent to the Mercer Field House, The Hill's weight room includes six squat racks equipped with bumper training plates, full dumbbell and kettlebell sets, 14 cardio machines, and various strength training machines. 

The fitness center is conveniently located in the center of the Athletic Complex and features floor-length mirrors, climate control, and glass doors opening to the field house.

Please Note

As of December 1, 2016, access to The Hill School’s weight room will be restricted to individuals with a Hill School ID card. A swipe card system has been installed by the weight room’s main entrance to grant access. All current Hill students and employees should have a functional ID card that works with the swipe system.  

Alumni, current and past Hill School parents, and persons with a direct connection to the School may apply for a weight room access card. To apply, please fill out the Weight Room Access Application Form, and a member of The Hill’s Athletics Department will follow up with you.

Fitness Room

Located in the old Annan Strength Center under the Bissell Wrestling Room, the Fitness Room serves as a space for recreational exercise activities, including yoga and general fitness. The room also can be utilized as an extra meeting space for teams when needed.

Outdoor

Briggs S. Cunningham '26 '50 Field

Opened: 2013
Surface: 2” Titan-A Turf
Sports: Field Hockey, Girls’ Lacrosse, Soccer (110 yards x 68 yards), Boys’ Lacrosse

Locker rooms located in adjacent Lehrman ’56 Pavilion

Harry L. Price Field

Opened: 2013
Surface: 2.25” Titan-A Turf
Sports: Soccer (120 yards x 75 yards), Boys’ Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Girls’ Lacrosse

Locker rooms located in adjacent Lehrman ’56 Pavilion

William W. Hauser '81 Track

Constructed: 2013
Features
* Eight-lane, sandwich surface track. 
*Double d-zones with the pole vault pit located in the west zone and high jump in the east zone.
* Dual sand pits for horizontal jumps.
* Shot-put and discus sectors are located outside of the track area.

Wells-Davidson '16 Pitch

Constructed: 1958
Renovated: 2013
Surface: Natural
Dimensions: 120 yards x 75 yards

Used only for soccer; Permanent, team-specific locker rooms located in the basement of nearby Wendell Dormitory

Dell Field

Located on Beech Street between the main entrance to the School and the Center for the Arts, the Dell Field is home to Hill football. A large bleacher section for home fans is located on the Beech Street side of the field, and bleachers for visiting fans are on the dell side. Fans frequently sit on the small hill behind the west endzone, making for a great game day atmosphere. Towers are located at midfield on each sideline to give high, central vantage points for filming.

Varsity Baseball Field

Constructed: 1958 
Renovated: 2011
Surface: Natural
Dimensions: 318 (lines), 378 (alleys), 397 (center)
Additional features: Enclosed bullpens, permanent batting cage, electronic scoreboard

Jim Long Field

Opened: 2000 
Renovated: 2014
Surface: Natural
Dimensions: 205 all-around
Features: Enclosed dugouts, electronic scoreboard, batting cage

Tennis Courts

Beech Street Tennis Courts: The boys' and girls' tennis teams hold all their home matches on these nine, easily accessible courts, located on Beech Street right across from the main entrance to Hill's campus and adjacent to the baseball field. In addition to the wind-screens that surround the courts, their location at the base of a hill helps shelter them from the wind. Convenient parking and benches for spectators on a small hillside next to the court make it an attractive place to watch tennis. A team shed for equipment and racquet-stringing provides practical benefits for the players.

Far Fields

Facilities
* Harry L. Price Field
* Briggs S. Cunningham ’26 ’50 Field
* Lehrman ’56 Pavilion
* William W. Hauser ’81 Track
* Jim Long Field
* Varsity baseball diamond
* Five grass fields used primarily for sub-varsity soccer and lacrosse

Brookside Country Club

Opened: 1916
Red Tees: Out – 2655, In – 2704, Total – 5359 
White Tees: Out – 3107, In – 3221, Total - 6328
Blue Tees: Out – 3250, In – 3452, Total – 6702
Clubhouse Address: 850 North Adams Street, Pottstown, PA 19464

Learn more about Brookside Country Club.

Home race course for Hill Cross Country